Wednesday, September 5, 2012

How Did iTunes Match Match That Song?

This one is weird.  The other day I was at my parents house looking for my Calvin and Hobbes books (I didn't find them) in my old closet.  I stumbled across a small stack of Memorex CD-Rs.  Two of them included songs that I wrote and recorded while I was working at Northeast Broadcasting School back in 1994 or 1995.  Another had all of my former band Prime Meridian's four track tapes from 1997 through 1999.  The remaining two were a Break Even gig that I recorded onto my ADAT.  I think it was at Burgundy's in Derry.  I don't recall the date off the top of my head, but it was the same day as the Red Sox vs Yankees playoff game when Pedro Martinez grabbed 800 year old Don Zimmer by his bald head and threw him to the ground.  The Great Zimmer Toss of 2003.

I just ripped those two CDs into iTunes with the plan of eventually uploading them to alonetone.com.  The files did not have any CDDB information, so prior to ripping them I gave them an artist and an album and I will figure out the song titles later.

I use iTunes Match, so as they were being ripped into my library they were also being uploaded to iCloud.  Somehow, and I have no idea how, some of the songs were tagged as matched.

Huh?

I'll probably make a play list out of the whole thing and upload it here so you can all laugh at me.


ADDENDUM:

Oh crap, these Break Even CDs aren't what I thought they were.  I pulled up a random song and happened to hit one of ours and not a cover.  If it had been a cover I would have known what it was.

We did not tune to an A (440 hertz), we tuned to an Ab (that's A-Flat for the non-music readers).  Prior to one of our first gigs, maybe our very first gig, I did some messing with audio files for the songs we were covering and detuned all of the songs down one half step.  That way we could practice at home without having to retune the instruments.

That is what I found in my old room last weekend.  Not the Zimmer Toss gig.  That's why iTunes Matched the files, they were the actual recordings of the songs we were covering, not recordings we made ourself.

Ah, nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment