Thursday, August 16, 2012

Head Gear

It's official.  My step son has braces.  He got them earlier this week.  It's worse than that though... he got head gear.  When I came home from work yesterday he was sitting on the couch looking miserable, starting at a blank television screen.  I felt so bad for the poor little man.  He seems so sad.

He's not allowed to wear the head gear in a moving car, which means he has to take it off and put it on quite often.  He can't get it on himself yet, and given how complicated the process is I don't know if he'll ever be able to do it.  I had to put it on for him this morning and it was difficult.  It took much longer than one would expect.  You actually have to hook it onto the braces by sliding this tiny wire into these microscopic looking holes, all while holding his jaw open and his cheeks apart so that you can sort of see what you're doing.  Oh, and there is a good chance you're going to stab him in the gums when you don't line things up perfectly.

Eventually he's going to have to wear this thing for 15 hours a day.  He's so sad about it.  My heart goes out to the poor little man.

We'll get through this together, buddy.  I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment