Thursday, August 9, 2012

Baseball Cards

My step son has recently taken an interest in baseball cards.  I've worked hard to convince him not to consider them investments because, well, he's nine and they are supposed to be fun.  If he wants to obsess about value when he's older he can, but now he should like them because they are fun.

I don't see cards for sale very often.  You can get multipack sets at Target in Methuen, but I haven't been seeing them around anywhere else.  I'm wondering if getting the full set of Topps for about $60 is a good idea.  What's with this whole series 1 and 2 crap?  Topps has taken so much of the fun out of the cards, it's sad.  If you print up a gagillion of each card then you rob the investor folks of their investment, and if you make it a competition to get them all then you rob the kids who just like messing around with baseball cards of their fun.

$60 for the full set seems really cheap.  Were they more expensive than that back in the 80's or did 60 bucks just feel like an infinite amount of money when I was 10?  I can't remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment