Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Great Article About Yahoo Mangling Flickr

I can't remember where I found this, but I read a great article on Gizmodo today titled, "How Yahoo Killed Flickr and Lost the Internet".

It's a great history on how Flickr was kept from reaching its potential by Yahoo's corporate machine.

Yahoo is a mess.  I can't imagine them staying afloat for all that much longer.  When they go under Flickr will go under too.  I am somewhat dependent on Flickr at this point.  I've got way over 20,000 images stored there and I do not see any viable alternative that has everything I want.

What I want is:
unlimited storage
ability to set privacy levels on a per-picture basis
a social structure that is open to both users and the public

Facebook is close.  Google+ is close too.  Neither does everything that I want though.

What the hell am I going to do when Flickr goes down with the Yahoo ship?

Hopefully Yahoo will either spin Flickr off into its own company and let it become independent again.  Fat chance of that as Yahoo will lose money that way.  They could also sell it.  If they do, hopefully it will be to a company that does not have its head firmly implanted in its ass.

Long Live, Flickr.  (please?)

No comments:

Post a Comment