Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Last Night

It's a little past 10:00pm Pacific time. The bags are 98% packed. The alarm clocks are set for a pre-dawn wake up. We are all clear for an early morning check out.

The first time I came to San Diego was our honeymoon in 2009. When it was time to go home I was sad and did not want to leave.

The second time I came here was last August. Leaving was painful. Leaving felt like a mistake. I was dreading heading back to the real world.

This time is probably not as bad as last time, but it's close. Jen and I both feel like we belong here. We talked about it rationally the other day. We know that if we moved here all of the things that we try to escape by coming here would just follow us, but somehow that doesn't seem so bad.

Obviously we can't stay. The kids are the main reason. It's hard enough being without them for a few days a week, imagine how awful it would be if their two parents lived on opposite coasts. We would miss my family as well, and I don't want to be so far away from them. As for our friends... Well... I bet we could convince most of them to come with us. Heh heh

There are so many reasons not to stay here, and only one reason to stay: We love it here. In the end, the other reasons win out. But the more we visit San Diego, the more like home it becomes, and the harder it gets to leave.

Wish us a safe trip tomorrow.

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment