Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Thanks for Nothing

This heartfelt Thanks for Nothing goes out to Newbury Comics. 

Being a resident of the greater Boston area, my first (and usually only) choice for purchasing music on compact disc is a wonderful chain of stores called Newbury Comics.  They are all over the place.  The best ones are in Boston, on Newbury Street, and in Burlington.  There are good ones in Nashua and Salem, NH as well.

On a few occasions in the sort of recent past I have hit the Natick, MA store during my lunch hour.  It is located on Route 9, and if you know anything about the area you know that Route 9 is a traffic nightmare.  It can take quite a long time to get anywhere on Route 9.

But, as mentioned in prior posts, today is New Rush Day and I need to get my mitts on a copy of Time Machine Live in Cleveland.  I decided to be smart and check the store website to make sure the Natick store still exists.  According to the site the store it is still right where it should be.  When my lunch hour came, off I went.

That will teach me to believe a store's website.

When I got there the windows were covered with big "Moving" signs and the store was empty.  I had to double back and go to Best Buy to get my copy of Time Machine.  Yeah, I went to a big box chain store to buy a magnificent piece of art rock.  Computers?  Camera accessories?  Home electronics?  Yeah, I will go to Best Buy for all of them.  I'd go there for DVDs and Blu rays too, but music?  No.  If I want to buy a record, I go to a real record store.  Am I an insufferable snob?  Abso-freakin'-lutely, but I don't care.  I actually feel a little dirty right now.

Thanks for nothing, Newbury Comics.

No comments:

Post a Comment