Monday, November 14, 2011

Lucic Avoids Suspension

The Bruins appear to have done it again.  Last year Zdeno Chara broke Max Pacioretty's neck and managed to avoid a suspension.  He did not manage to avoid the public uproar and calls to 9-1-1 in Montreal though.

Now it's Milan Lucic's turn.  On Saturday night he plowed over and through Sabers goalie Ryan Miller.  Miller finished the game, but has since been diagnosed with a concussion.  Earlier today Lucic had his hearing with NHL senior vice president of player safety and hockey operations Brendan Shanahan (sounds impressive, eh?) and no suspension was assessed.  Are the phones ringing in Buffalo's 9-1-1 call center?

Probably not.

I saw a replay of the hit today.  It was pretty rough.  I would not have been the least bit surprised if Lucic got one game off without pay.  He clobbered Miller.  Could he have gotten out of the way?  Maybe... I thought he could have at least made more of an effort.  I guess.  He was penalized on the play, correctly, and he had his day in hockey court and he got off.  I think he should have gotten something, but I'm not complaining.  That's the end of that story, until Boston and Buffalo meet again.

My question to Brendan Shanahan though is this, When are you going to evaluate the punishment to Miller for what he did immediately after the hit?  After Lucic wrecked him, Miller sat with his ass on the ice and swung his stick, baseball bat style at Lucic's legs.  He did not hit anything (strike one) but still, that was pretty egregious, wasn't it?  How is that not suspension worthy?  How is that not worthy of some supplemental discipline?

Now before you Buffalo fans (who will never even see this post because no one ever reads me) get all a-tizzy over this, remember I said that Lucic should have received a bigger punishment.  Lucic was at fault for the hit.  Lucic was totally in the wrong.  Don't forget that I already said that, Buffalo fans.  But also don't forget that Miller swung his damn stick at Lucic like he was George effing Washington trying to cut down the cherry tree.  Both actions should have resulted in suspensions.

I like Ryan Miller a lot.  Really.  If we didn't have Tim Thomas I would want Ryan Miller to be our goalie.  When he's on his game he's unreal.  You haven't forgotten that USA silver medal in the Olympics, have you?  We owe a huge chunk of that medal to Ryan Miller.  He's an awesome goalie.  But he swung his stick like Babe Ruth swinging for the fences and that action needs to be addressed by the NHL.  I don't care if he hit Lucic or not, that was awful and he can't get away with that.

That's my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment