Wednesday, October 12, 2011

iOS5

As my lunch break comes to an end I sit here thinking about my to-do list for this evening.  Very high on the list is installing the iOS5 update that Apple released today onto my iPhone and iPad.  There are two things included in the new operating system that I think I'll be making use of. 

First, is the new messaging app.  No more text messages for us!  Jen and I both have iPhones and my brother and sister and both kids have an iPod Touch.  We can now all send messages to each other's phones without using a text messaging plan.  I see it as an instant message function that is always logged on.  I wonder if there will be a Mac app for this too?

The other thing I am looking forward to playing with is iCloud... sort of.  I have never had a problem with having to plug my Apple devices into a computer to sync things up.  I don't think it's a big deal, really.  If Google would just get the damn music beta working correctly we could go forever without needing to sync music or apps.  We'd only have to plug in for iOS updates.

The one thing I'm wanting to get my mits on is iTunes Match.  This is the service that lets you store your music collection online.  To me, that means a Google Music that can play Apple's DRM files.  That would make me happy.  Also, if a song in your collection exists in the iTunes store, you don't need to upload it.  You can access a copy of it that already exists in the service.  I'm not just talking about things you've purchased from iTunes, but things you've ripped off of CDs, or... well... possibly... obtained through other means.  Not that I have ever done that, no.  The downside, of course, is that the service isn't free.  It's $24.99 a year (I think).  I think that might be too much for me for a service that I come very close to already having with my 80 gig iPod Classic.  Should I decide to upgrade to a larger iPod Classic then I will in fact be able to carry my entire (very large) music collection in my pocket. 

Of course this all depends on how well these new applications work.  If iTunes Match is as clunky as the iOS web app for Google Music then it's not even close to worth it.  But if it works as well as most of the streaming audio apps I've used... then it might be.  Might be.

Tonight we will begin to find out.

Happy iOS5 Release Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment