Monday, September 12, 2011

Monday Again

Mondays are getting more and more difficult.  I hate Mondays, but so does everyone else so what can you do?  At least I was at my desk by 9:00 today.

Yesterday was a lot of fun.  We had planned to be responsible and do chores and errands and things and be productive and such.  We actually piled into the car and headed to Market Basket to buy food for the week.  Just like a responsible family should.  As I was looking for a parking spot, Jen quietly mentions that there is a store in Salem that sells games and she'd never been there and maybe we should go find a game to play as a family instead of being responsible. 

My response to that was, obviously, screw responsibility!  Let's go play games!

We didn't find anything at Myriad Games in Salem.  Everything was a little too grown up for the kids, or way too expensive.  We changed plans and headed to Toys-R-Us.  There we bought a goofy game called Kids Battle the Grown-Ups.  There was a stack of questions for the kids to ask us, and a different stack of questions for us to ask the kids.  It was fun and silly.  We played best out of three and the kids completely smoked us in the first game.  It lasted all of about 4 minutes.  That's all the time they needed to blow us off the map.  Jen and I regrouped and won the next two.  They were long, dragged out battles complete with numerous lead changes.  Fortunately for my fragile ego, the grown-ups prevailed.

Next we played Parchisi... although it really wasn't anything like I remember Parchisi being.  A couple of times I found myself wondering if maybe we had the wrong game in the box.  I didn't complain though, we had fun with it.  Jen won a very long and drawn out match where she out strategized the kids.  She was able to block them while still moving her pieces closer and closer to home.  She played like a master.  I only mentioned her outplaying the kids because I was a non factor.  I kept getting pieces bounced back to the start and I rolled and rolled forever but only rarely was I able to get my pawns onto the board.  I got smoked.

Now we're back to work.  The weekend is over.  Depression sets in.  We don't see the kids again until Wednesday.  Maybe on Wednesday we'll be able to play Payday, the other game we bought at Toys-R-Us.  Maybe I'll be able to vindicate myself there.

No comments:

Post a Comment