Saturday, July 16, 2011

Spooky

I had one of those spooky dreams where you can't recognize the moment when you stop deaming and wake up.

Last night at about 1:00am I heard an explosion. A great big monster of a ka-boom. I could see that the street lights went out through my window shade and I heard what sounded like a flock of startled birds squawking as they flew away.

When I lived in Tewksbury there was a transformer near us that blew once in a while. It sounded like that.

Until I suddenly heard the first notes of "Help" by The Beatles.

Huh?

Our music-to-sleep by was still playing? But the power is off. Well, it probably just came back on and I didn't notice, right? I looked at the alarm clock and it was on but not flashing. It should have been flashing, shouldn't it?

Then I realized... Our bedroom does not face the street. How could I have seen the street lights go out if I couldn't see the street lights.

Now that I think of it, I thought, if something outside exploded, why aren't there two terrified kids running into the room? Why don't I have a startled wife laying next to me instead of a not-startled wife sleeping next to me?

Maybe because what I thought happened didn't happen?

My mind started coming up with alternative events? Was there a car accident outside? Did an animal attack our trash cans?

I got up and took a look around. All was well. I dreamed the whole thing.

Or did I?

Now I am going to check the news to make even more sure that I'm right.

No comments:

Post a Comment