Thursday, July 14, 2011

Are the Fish Messing with Me?

We had to break the news to my step son yesterday that one of his new fish has vanished from the tank. He got mad and blamed it on the three original fish. He said it had to have been them who killed the new guy. We talked him down from his wrath, telling him that we don't know what happened and that whatever it was it's not something to get mad about. They are just fish and they just do what fish do, that's all. After a few minutes he relaxed and was all right again.

At bed time I took a look at the tank and saw five fish. I thought I'd be nice to them and throw another tiny pinch of food in. I opened the top, dropped in some flakes, closed the top, and watched...

and I swear the yellow glow fish that I know I had seen seconds before was gone.

I almost shit a brick. I swear it had been right there, and then when I looked again? Nothing. Gone. I left the room without mentioning it to my step son. If we lost another one just a couple of hours after telling him about the first one he'd be a wreck.

Fortunately when I went back in this morning to turn off the tank's light (he can't reach it) the yellow glow fish was in sight again. That was the moment that I realized...

The fish are messing with my head.

I bet the green glow fish is still in there. Hiding. I bet when they hear footsteps outside of the room he burrows under the fake rocks at the bottom of the tank and waits for me to leave before coming out again. Either that or he's hiding in the little cave thingie.

It's bad enough that our cat is clearly plotting to kill me, but now I find that we have a smart ass fish who's trying to convince me that I'm losing my mind.

Thanks a ton, pets.

No comments:

Post a Comment