Monday, June 6, 2011

Game Three Pre-Game Nerves

I just found out my brother is going to be at game three of the Stanley Cup finals tonight. That little turd. Who's jealous? I'm jealous! Not that I would be able to go if I had tickets. I am way too tired from this past weekend. It's one of those I-need-a-weekend-to-recover-from-the-weekend kinda weekends.

I played chauffeur to the kids for most of Saturday. That was fun, but a little tiring. We went to a go cart/batting cage/mini golf/arcade yesterday and that was a lot of fun, but tiring. We got our Apple TV up and running last night and some how that was tiring too, even though it involved me sitting on my fat ass looking at the screen.

As a newly minted iPad owner I have to say that I like the e-reader, iBooks. My fear is that the instant access to the bookstore means I will be tempted to buy any book that catches my eye while browsing. Case in point, the only ebook I have purchased thus far is Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein. That's been on my would-like-to-read-but-won't-go-out-of-my-way reading list for years. I was just poking around the iBooks store and saw it and grabbed it. Boom. So it's sort of my iPad e-reading guinea pig. I feel like my eyes get tired faster when reading using the iPad (or doing anything on the iPad, or the iPhone) but being able to dim the brightness helps. It's sort of a balancing act between too bright and uncomfortable, and too dim and uncomfortable. I'll figure it out. Generally though, my experience thus far is really positive. Now that we have a subscription to Netflix and the Netflix app on the iPad we will probably do more television watching on the iPad than on the television itself. It could happen. The Netflix stream to the Apple TV was great. No skips or hitches or anything. Our wifi coverage can be a little spotty in places, and it just worked perfectly. Let's hope that continues.

Now... on to the stress...

Game three tonight. Bruins. Down two games to none. Backed squarely into a Stanley Cup Corner. The games have been even for the most part, other than a tendency for the Bruins to slow down during the third period. Note how I am going out of my way to not mention the 11 seconds of overtime in game two when I talk about the Bruins breaking down. I'm pretending it never happened. You're welcome.

They finally solved Luongo in game two, scoring twice. They finally had success on the power play. They had been successful shutting down the Canucks top line in game one, but that when right down the crapper in game two. They need to find a way to do all of that in the same game. I am confident that they can do it. I still see this as being a long series, but they have to turn it around Right Now. Game three is just as much of a must win as the game sevens against Montreal and Tampa Bay were. They cannot lose this game. They cannot lose this game.

My Cautious Optimism is still in full force. I expect the Bruins to come out tonight and play better than they did in either of the first two games. I see Boston winning game three. It won't be easy, but I predict victory.

Go Bruins!

1 comment:

  1. Now you can see why I've had such difficulty adapting to the kindle! The iPad/iBooks is SO much better. I found decreeing the brightness and playing around with the font styles/sizes got me to a place that didn't even tire my eyes much at all. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete