Tuesday, April 12, 2011

NHL Quarter Finals Playoff Predictions Post

This is the post that my regular readers (all none of you) have just been dying for.

The official NHL Quarter Finals Playoffs Prediction Post. My totally logic-free pics to advance to the second round.

Most years my playoff predictions come in at a little better than 50/50. Last year I think I was a lot worse than 50/50, but I am going to pretend it didn't happen and be confident in my unanalyzed gut feelings once again!

Here we go!

As always we start with the Eastern Conference:

The Washington Capitals vs the New York Rangers. I hate the Rangers. Loathe the Rangers. I don't particularly like the Capitals either. I'm going out on a limb here. I think the Rangers win this one. The Caps aren't the force they were last year, mostly because they decided to give defense a chance for a change, but I think Lundqvist can stop them. Again, this is based solely on gut feelings, but I don't find the Caps nearly as impressive as in the past and in recent years they have proven to be the East's San Jose. I think they blow another one and the Rangers win... although I am physically sick picking a New York team.

The Philadelphia Flyers vs the Buffalo Sabers. My gut tells me to go with Buffalo. Philly has been really weak down the stretch and Buffalo has been really strong. But what's the deal with the whole Ryan Miller thing. If he's not 100% I don't think Buffalo wins, and I don't think Miller is 100%. I am picking Philly even though it makes me physically ill to do so.

The Boston Bruins vs the Montreal Canadiens. Boston. Like I could pick anyone over my Bruins. But. Montreal scares me. We have only been able to outplay them twice this year, and the other games they have made us look like crap. Which Canadiens team will show up? The one that beat us up in Montreal the night Zdeno Chara became public enemy #1 throughout Quebec? Or the one that rolled over and died when the Bruins blew them out of the building a couple of weeks later. Here's me hoping it's the blow outs that we see. Oh, and for the record... if the Bruins should find themselves up three games to none (not saying that they will, just saying on the off chance that they do) I will be more afraid than I have ever been in my entire life. Just saying.

The Pittsburgh Penguins vs the Tampa Bay Lightening. This one interests me. If Sidney Crosby plays it's a no brainer. Tampa blew their lead in their division with some poor play late. I believe they've been better down the home stretch, but that has to be weighing on them. They are good, but a Crosby Pittsburgh is clearly better. But what if it's a Crosby-free Pittsburgh? I think in that case it's a pretty close series. I am going to err on the side of concussion caution and say that Crosby won't be back by the end of this round, and therefore I am picking Tampa Bay.

On to the Western Conference:

The Vancouver Canucks vs the Chicago Blackhawks. I hope you enjoyed your reign as Stanley Cup Champions, because your title defense ends here, Chicago. Sorry, you've been a shadow of last year's team all season, thanks in part to the fire sale, and Vancouver is going to send you home in short order. If the Canucks get bounced before the finals I will not be surprised, but they aren't getting bounced in the first round this year. Vancouver wins.

The San Jose Sharks vs the Los Angeles Kings. I want to pick LA. I really do. It's just not going to happen. They aren't beating a potential juggernaut like San Jose without a healthy Kopitar. Sorry. San Jose lives to choke in a later round.

The Detroit Red Wings vs the Phoenix Coyotes. Datsyuk has been hurt... Zetteberg is going to miss the start of the series. This is my choice for a Western upset. The ever-in-turmoil Phoenix Coyotes are going to win this one. It'll probably take seven games, and it will probably burn them out for round two, but I predict that they shall advance. (and that pretty much guarantees the Wings take the series in four games)

The Anaheim Ducks vs the Nashville Predators. Who cares. I don't know squat about either team. I'm going to pick the Ducks because, assuming my other predictions work out, that will match them up with San Jose in round two and it will be more interesting to have two consecutive all-California match ups. Ducks win.

And there you have it, folks. My completely biased and non-researched playoff predictions. In the end let me leave you with this:

Go Bruins!

No comments:

Post a Comment