Monday, March 21, 2011

The Third Chemo Drug

I finally got the name of the third chemotherapy drug my mother is taking. I had been told a couple of times, but it is a mouthful and I needed to actually see it written down before I could wrap my brain around it.

So, along with the Methotrexate and the Rituximab, we now have Temozolomide. I like the sound of this one. It messes with the tumor's DNA and kills the cells dead. No messing around with other chemicals that the tumor needs, this goes right to the source and kicks its ass. Thank you.

Based on the wiki article there aren't a lot of side effects, mostly just vomiting. That might explain why my mother has also been put on an anti-nausea medication on top of everything else.

I saw my mother briefly yesterday. She looked tired, but she had just finished cooking boiled dinner for 14 people. That would wear anyone out. She still hasn't had any side effects to any of the treatment. Fingers crossed.

Today she is being checked back into Mass General for her second Methotrexate treatment. She'll be in the hospital for four days. They give her the drug and then monitor her while they wait for it to pass through her system. It's a nasty bugger.

We continue to be hopeful that the chemotherapy treatments knock this tumor down to nothing, and we continue to keep our fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment