Friday, March 25, 2011

Glorious

I had a lot of stuff to do last night. There were dishes in the sink that had been there since the weekend and they needed cleaning. There were mountains upon mountains of recently washed clothes that needed folding.

I had a lot to do.

I listened to most of the first period of the Bruins game on the radio with headphones on. I missed the first goal, but the kids gave me a couple of funny looks when I silently, "wooohoooo"'d the second and third goals before the end of the period.

By the time the second period started I was down in the cellar with the huge pile of laundry, watching the game on low-def television. It didn't matter... it was still beautiful.

I am trying to find an adjective to describe the victory. The final score was Boston 7, Montreal 0. That doesn't do it justice though. Domination? Not strong enough. Annihilation? Not overwhelming enough. Blew them out of the effin' building and sent them back home to Montreal crying like little whiny babies while their fans called 911 to report that the team had been mugged on their trip to Boston? That's pretty close.

I had to go upstairs to say goodnight to one of the kids and I missed the first few minutes of the third period. I went upstairs and it was 3-0 and the Canadiens were still fighting. I came back downstairs and it was 5-0 and the Canadiens had clearly given up. They were just standing around, looking beaten. Thoroughly beaten. They were so done that even with a five on three power play they still managed to give up a shorthanded goal to Campbell. Let me restate that, giving the turn of events the proper emphasis:

THEY GAVE UP A SHORTHANDED GOAL WHILE ON A FIVE ON THREE POWER PLAY!!!!!


That just doesn't happen to teams that are still trying. That happens when I play EA Sports NHL games on the Playstation, it does not happen in real life.

But it was beautiful!

Now back to reality: We are probably going to meet the Canadiens in the first round of the playoffs. They still scare me. Despite the glorious manner of victory last night, they still have beaten us badly this year. So I am not going to guarantee a win in the first round for the Bruins. You'd be nuts to think that.

But it sure will be fun!

Go Bruins!

No comments:

Post a Comment