Saturday, January 8, 2011

Saturday Night Distractions

My step son got an air hockey table for Christmas. We put it together today. It was actually broken in the box. Each leg needs to screw onto the table in two places. One leg was missing the board that one of the screws connects to. He was devastated when I told him. You'd have thought I just kicked his dog in the head. He was convinced that the item was returned to the store in that condition and then resold. I'm not sure what prompted that response, but he was right. (I didn't tell him that because I didn't find the definite proof until later, but the instructions said the paddles needed to have a felt base attached to them, and both paddles already had the pads.) It doesn't matter, the leg in question still had a place to connect to the table, and it seems to be pretty steady. I played once game against him and beat him 10-8. I had been up 4-0 to start, but he came back and made a fight of it. Next he played a game against my step daughter and he beat her 10-9. Last I played against my step daughter and she was up 9-8 when mom called us up for supper so I conceded the game to her.

The Bruins just blew their 2-0 lead against Montreal. 41 seconds left in the game and the Canadiens tie it. I hate the effing Canadiens. I hate them.

We lit a fire in the fireplace today. Two of them actually. We had been 0-1 on attempts to start a fire, but we lacked kindling and we couldn't get it to catch. Today we used a slow burning something or other that is a kindling substitute and it worked better than our previous attempt, but after about 30 minutes it was dead. Jen also bought a thing called enviro-log today. They are artificial logs made out of recycled cardboard. We started our third fire with a couple of those and it worked perfectly. After about two hours or roaring fire I put a real log on it and we had a brief happy time of burning, crackling wood in our fireplace. We're letting the ashes cool now, but I want to start another one. I think I am officially a fireplace fan now.

Basically, I am spending the day trying not to think about the events in Arizona today. My best to Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and her family, and to the families and victims of the shooting. I expect to be beyond furious over this, but I want to get more information before I start losing my shit, politically speaking.

2 comments:

  1. I feel very bad about the air hockey table! We bought it at walmart.com and had it shipped to the store. Needless to say, I'll probably never buy from walmart.com again! I'll see if I still have the receipt, if you want to return it. I'll call Jennifer tomorrow. Please tell Harry we're really sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The air hockey table is fine. One of the table legs is missing one of two screws. It's not a big deal. The game works fine, nothing to worry about. I was just wondering about his response that it was returned to the store and resold. I have no idea where that came from, but the table itself is fine. No worries at all.

    ReplyDelete