Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I am a MORON

Quick, pop quiz... you are not allowed to look up the answer:

When does your driver's license expire?

I took that test yesterday and failed miserably. Mine expired on my birthday this year... back in May.

MORON!

Jen noticed it yesterday while she was investigating home insurance. I've been a licensed driver since February of 1988. Every time I've had to renew my driver's license I got a message in the mail telling me it was coming. This time... nothing. I asked around the office and some other folks said they had heard that was the new way. Jen, however, got a renewal letter earlier this year. I don't know who is right, I just know that I never saw a renewal letter.

There is a Mass Registry of Motor Vehicles Express office at the Natick rest area on the Mass Pike. That's the closest RMV branch to my office. All they do is renewals, so it was where I headed yesterday. It was just after lunch time but I had to get this done right away, so I blew down there and waited in line for an hour and went back to work. The branch opens at 8:00am so I got up wicked early today and went back. This time I had more luck. I am licensed again, and I will have a new bad picture. Yippee.

Two quick customer stories from the RMV.

The office handles two things: License renewals and Registration renewals. That's it. After waiting a long time in line one woman finally gets up to the counter and says she wants to transfer a Title.

License renewals and Registration renewals.

Another woman says her inspection is going to expire tomorrow and she needs to order vanity plates so she can have the new plate on the inspection. Tomorrow. So she expected to walk into the office and ask for vanity plates and take them home right then. As if the poor people working in the registry customer lines were going to go in the back somewhere and manufacture her vanity plates to order.

License renewals and Registration renewals.

The vanity plate woman was pissed off, and the woman working was getting equally pissed off. It's like going into a restaurant and ordering home repairs. You've gotta be seriously soft.

Anyway, the situation is resolved for me. For now. Hopefully in a little less than a month I will have to go back and have the address on my license changed. Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment