Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Salisbury Beach

We were still sick when we got up yesterday. Just as sick as we'd been on Sunday when we were too sick to go to the 4th of July cookout and fireworks. The difference with Monday was the kids were with us.

The temps were in the high 90s. We live in the hottest building in America. We had to do something. We went to Salisbury Beach.

I must have been there at some point in my life, but I can't for the life of me say that I recognized anything there. It was run down and dumpy and definitely not the best place around, but it was the Atlantic, the water was cold enough to make us forget about the heat, and it was close to home.

I took the pocket sized camera and took a few pictures specifically to try out the free version of the auto-stitch program (google it). I had five images, it only used four. Not sure why.

pano

Anyway, at about noon the place was getting seriously busy and we were ready for a change. We packed up, cleaned off, changed, and headed back to the car. Jen had an idea for something fun to do but it was a long drive to get to it. We took a shot in the hopes that the traffic wouldn't be bad, and acknowledged the fact that the air conditioner in the mini-van kicks 100 flavors of ass, and headed north.

We ended up in Laconia, NH at a huge arcade called Funspot. We played some indoor mini golf, the kids rode some bumper cars, and we played a slew of arcade games. I was at my best playing skeeball.

After a couple of hours there we headed home, dropped the kids off at their dad's, and then just flaked in front of the tube. We watched I Love You, Man. Rush made a cameo. The greatest cameo in cinematic history.

Speaking of which. I just want to state publicly how lucky I am. Ever since 1981 or so I have been off my rocker nuts about the band Rush. If anything, the ridiculousness of my obsession with this particular slice of music has gotten worse with age.

Obsession is common among Rush fans. What's not common is understanding. Fortunately for me I met a woman who not only understood my zany behavior toward the music of three middle aged Canadian guys, but she embraced it herself and has jumped off the fandom deep end with me. It doesn't seem like much, but it is to me. It's one of the billion or so reasons why I love Jen as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment