Monday, May 10, 2010

Two Things I Won't be Seeing

Here are two things I won't be seeing but figure some random people stopping by might be interested in.

First, when Rush announced their tour not long ago, Jen the love of my life and I looked at the financial situation, including the upcoming Disney trip, and decided that we could only afford one show. That's perfectly fine with me.

This morning Mike called me and told me that Roger Waters is doing The Wall at the Garden in September. (I looked up the dates, September 30, and October 1) He asked if I wanted to go. The answer is Yes, I want to go. The answer to the implied question, will I go, was no.

I saw Roger Waters do Dark Side of the Moon a few years ago and it was a great show. It was strange in a way though. One of those moments where it feels more like a cover band that just happens to have the guy who wrote or co-wrote all of the music. Great performance and all... just not quite authentic. I imagine a performance of The Wall would be similar, although on a much more gigantic scale. I'd love to see the show, but I have already spent my big ticket concert dollar for this year, and frankly if I were going to want to see another show it would be a second Rush show.

Sorry Mike. Sorry Roger. As much as I'd like to go, I'm going to have to pass this time.

The second cool thing I am not going to attend is a cinema showing of the new Rush documentary, RUSH: BEYOND THE LIGHTED STAGE. The film is going to be shown at The Regent Theater in Arlington, MA on June 6th at 7:30pm. Donna Halper, the woman often credited with "discovering" Rush for the United States will be appearing at the showing.

I would Love to see this in the theater, but I think it's going to be a blu-ray only experience for me. (complete with the reported hour or so of bonus footage that is supposed to be included in the various home video releases.) The weekend of June 6th is going to be an insanely busy one for us. We have a whole ton of things planned and I don't want to mess with any of them for a movie. Sure, it's going to be a one time chance to see it in a theater, but I was never really expecting to bother with any possible theater showings.

I would much rather get together with a few friends and the love of my life and watch the blu-ray version on our swanky new (well... not so new) HD television with a bag of chips or a bowl of popcorn. That sounds like a much better use of this flick to me. Then maybe follow it up with the Exit... Stage Left video or something. That would be cool.

So to all of you who are going to see Roger do The Wall, or to The Regent in Arlington to see the reported actual film footage of Rush playing live with John Rutsey on drums (can you say, holy grail?) I hope you have a great time.

For anyone who might learn of these events from this post and decide to check them out, you're welcome. (let's be real though, the grand total of said people will be a big fat zero)

And for those of you who don't care either way (let's be real, that's all of you)...

Go Bruins!

No comments:

Post a Comment