Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Long Drives

Our Disney trip is fast approaching. That got me thinking about some of the really long drives I've taken over the years.

Disney will be the longest distance I've traveled where I was one of the people driving. However, it is not the longest distance I've been in the car for. My family drove from Tewksbury, MA to Fairhope, AL back in 19... 19... 1982? Maybe 1983? I was 11 or 12 years old and I sat in the back of a station wagon with headphones on for as much of the trip as I could. A quick look on Google Maps tells me that the drive would have been something like 1,437 miles.

Last November Jen and I took a drive that is the current longest distance I've been a driver for record holder. South Bend, IN to Methuen, MA. According to Google that was about 910 miles.

Now granted, these are rough estimates. The drive to Alabama probably did not take the route that Google Maps plotted. The drive from Indiana might have because we were using the maps app on our iPhones to get us home. The estimates also do not include the miles added on by the side trips. Gas stations, restaurants, bathrooms, and over night hotels. Things like that.

Google tells me that the drive to Orlando, FL will be about 1,313 miles. Out trip will be longer than that. We're going to try to avoid New York city if we can. That means heading out West a bit before trekking back South. I don't think the drive will end up being longer than the drive to Fairhope was because, if my memory serves, we avoided New York on that trip too. We probably were well over 1,500 miles that time.

Speaking of Google Maps, have you checked out the new Earth view? They have finally gotten around to integrating Google Maps with Google Earth. You have to install a plug in but it looks very cool.

I Can't Wait to Go to Florida!!

No comments:

Post a Comment