Tuesday, May 11, 2010

HTML5 Video

So I did it... On the private page I managed to get a video to play using HTML5. It worked in Safari but not in Firefox, Chrome, or IE8. I don't know exactly which version of each browser I am using so that might be part of the reason why it didn't work in Firefox or Chrome. IE8 doesn't support HTML5 at all so we don't have to include that in the discussion any more.

While looking for examples of the video tag in action I came across this page here (thanks Google), called Video on the Web - Dive into HTML5.

According to that, the reason why my testing sort of worked and sort of didn't is because video in HTML5 sort of works and sort of doesn't. It's not only browser specific, it's browser and format specific, and most of the browsers support different formats. According to the page, Chrome should support anything... so why didn't my tests work? Who knows. I'm getting a headache.

Anyway, if you're interested in video on the web give that page a read. There is a lot of interesting stuff there.

Enjoy.

Go Bruins!

No comments:

Post a Comment