Thursday, April 22, 2010

Wonders Ne'er Cease!

Are you a Bruins fan?

If you are, then let me just say... Wow.

I didn't see the first period. There is a park near our house and the four of us took a walk there so the kids could show of their prodigious monkey bars skill. It was a nice little change of pace and we managed to get back home before it got too cold.

The first period was just about over when we got in but we all sat in front of the tube to watch the second. The kids stayed up about 30 minutes later than normal because none of us were paying any attention to the clock.

It was one to nothing Buffalo after one. It was two to nothing Buffalo after two. It looked pretty bad. After the kids went to bed Krejci scores to make it a one goal game. Not long after Patrice Bergeron scored yet another huge goal for the Bruins to tie it. Jen wanted to go to bed but was sweet enough to stay up with me until the end of the third. It was two to two after three. Overtime babie!

From the sports fan's point of view, there is nothing more stressful than over time during playoff hockey. Overtime in Football is a joke. Overtime in basketball is fun, but they always play a full period so the only possibility of heart attacks is at the end of the OT period. Baseball, like everything else in sports, is it's own animal. The pace is slower, and you know the home team will get it's last chance. It's very exciting, but it's just different. Hockey however... sudden death. It can all end at any moment. It's edge of your seat from the start of the period right until the end of the game. I went to a playoff game between Boston and Washington once, back in... 1995 was it? Something like that. The game went to double overtime. It was hands down the most exciting sporting event I have ever been to. Nothing else comes close. The Bruins lost that game and it was devastating, but I will never forget it.

Last night... double overtime. Tuukka Rask and Ryan Miller both played like super heroes. I had the game on the radio (on my iPhone, thanks Apple app store and AOL) and was trying not to scream while Jenny slept. I think I did all right... mostly.



The Bruins lead the series three games to one. I never saw this coming. I really believed that the way they played post Olympics they were going to get blown out. Somehow though, they have saved their best play for the post season and have really looked fantastic. Buffalo too. I can't knock how they've played. They've been unable to hold the lead in the third and frankly I am thankful for that, but they have played some great hockey too. This has been a really fun series to watch.

Still... Bruins in five would make me happy. Please don't try and be cute and wait to win it in game six at home. Just go to Buffalo on Friday and do what you've done the last three games and get it over with.

Please, my heart can't take it. I've had to change the batteries on my defibrillator twice this week!

Go Bruins!

No comments:

Post a Comment