Thursday, April 29, 2010

Home Ice

The undisputed kings of NHL choke are the San Jose Sharks. Now, however, we have to start thinking there is an Eastern Conference team that is closing the gap.

The Washington Capitals won the President's trophy. They outscored the rest of the league by some ungodly (three digit?) number.

And last night they were eliminated by the eighth seeded Montreal Canadiens. Oh and did I mention they needed to blow a three games to one lead in order to lose the series?

Yes, Eastern Conference Choking Champion Washington Capitals.

So how did I do in my predictions? Crappy, that's how.

I picked Washington over Montreal and was wrong. 0-1.
I picked New Jersey over Philadelphia and was wrong. 0-2.
I picked Boston over Buffalo and was right... and I still can't believe it. 1-2.
I picked Pittsburgh over Ottawa and was right. 2-2.
I picked Colorado over San Jose and was wrong. 2-3.
I picked Chicago over Nashville and was right. 3-3.
I picked Los Angeles over Vancouver and was wrong. 3-4.
I picked Phoenix over Detroit and was wrong. 3-5.

That's my worst first round ever.

Of course the end result of those bad predictions is that the Bruins are now the second highest seed remaining in the East. We have home ice advantage in round two. Un-fricken'-believable.

Here is the schedule for round two, as posted at nhl.com:

2010 EASTERN CONFERENCE SEMIFINALS
SERIES I
#4 vs. #8
Network
Friday, April 30 at Pittsburgh, 7:00 p.m. CBC, RDS, VERSUS
Sunday, May 2 at Pittsburgh, 2:00 p.m. NBC, CBC, RDS
Tuesday, May 4 at Montreal, 7:00 p.m. CBC, RDS, VERSUS
Thursday, May 6 at Montreal, 7:00 p.m. CBC, RDS, VERSUS
*Saturday, May 8 at Pittsburgh, 7:00 p.m. CBC, RDS, VERSUS
*Monday, May 10 at Montreal, 7:00 p.m. CBC, RDS, VERSUS
*Wednesday, May 12 at Pittsburgh, TBD CBC, RDS, VERSUS
SERIES J
#6 vs. #7
Network
Saturday, May 1 at Boston, 12:30 p.m. NBC, TSN
Monday, May 3 at Boston, 7:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS
Wednesday, May 5 at Philadelphia, 7:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS
Friday, May 7 at Philadelphia, 7:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS
*Monday, May 10 at Boston, 7:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS
*Wednesday, May 12 at Philadelphia, TBD TSN, VERSUS
*Friday, May 14 at Boston, 7:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS
2010 WESTERN CONFERENCE SEMIFINALS
SERIES K
#1 vs. #5
Network
Thursday, April 29 at San Jose, 9:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS
Sunday, May 2 at San Jose, 8:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS
Tuesday, May 4 at Detroit, 7:30 p.m. TSN, VERSUS
Thursday, May 6 at Detroit, 7:30 p.m. TSN, VERSUS
*Saturday, May 8 at San Jose, 10:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS
*Monday, May 10 at Detroit, 7:30 p.m. TSN, VERSUS
*Wednesday, May 12 at San Jose, TBD TSN, VERSUS
SERIES L
#2 vs. #3
Network
Saturday, May 1 at Chicago, 8:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS
Monday, May 3 at Chicago, 9:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS
Wednesday, May 5 at Vancouver, 9:30 p.m. CBC, VERSUS
Friday, May 7 at Vancouver, 9:30 p.m. CBC, VERSUS
*Sunday, May 9 at Chicago, 8:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS
*Tuesday, May 11 at Vancouver, 9:30 p.m. CBC, VERSUS
*Thursday, May 13 at Chicago, 8:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS

Pittsburgh vs Montreal: Going with the Penguins here. For four reasons. First, they are the defending champs. Second, they are not the Montreal Canadiens and I really hate the Montreal Canadiens. Third, I am going to assume that Halak won't have enough gas in his tank to blank another offensive juggernaut they way he did Washington in the last three games. Fourth, Sydney Crosby. In the last two years Crosby has lead his team to the Cup Finals twice, winning the second time, and lead his national team to the Olympic Gold Medal. He's starting to look like Bill Russel with all the constant winning he's doing. Hard to bet against a guy on a streak like that.

Boston vs Philadelphia: See that? I get to put Boston first there because they are the higher seed. I am shocked. I am still stunned they beat Buffalo. Hell, I am still stunned that they scored a single goal off of Ryan Miller. Now on top of all the winning they did against all odds in the first round, they get their top offensive player, Marc Savard, back for the second round. I thought Philly would have died quick in the first round after all the fighting they had to do just to get there. Turns out it was New Jersey who died quick. I will not underestimate Philly again. I see this one going a long way. All seven games perhaps. I also see The Boston Bruins in the Conference Finals. Go Bruins!

San Jose vs Detroit: I am picking the Red Wings for two simple reasons. First, they are friggin' awesome right now. Second, they are not San Jose. The inevitable Sharks choke waits for round two this year, but it will happen.

Chicago vs Vancouver: I am pretty undecided on this one so I am going to pick Vancouver based on former Lowell Lock Monster Roberto Luongo shedding his can't-win-the-big-games image and standing on his head and carrying his team to the third round.

So there are my picks for round two. I need to go 3-1 just go get back to .500... and here I am picking two upsets in the West again. I probably should have learned not to do that after the first round.

I have just one more thing to add to this post:

GO BRUINS!

No comments:

Post a Comment