Monday, April 12, 2010

Caffeine

Over the last few days I've done something that I would have thought was impossible. I have not had any caffeine since Thursday night. Jen and I were talking about how we have trouble sleeping and how we're getting jittery and twitchie. We tracked the source of both problems back to ridiculous caffeine consumption. We're both cola drinkers, and when I say we are cola drinkers I mean we drink on average the gross domestic product's worth of cola per week.

For me Coca~Cola is the drug of choice. Pepsi is a distant second, but still a favorite. In the diet cola realm Diet Pepsi is the clear winner with Diet Coke and Coke Zero not too far behind. As far as drinks without caffeine go, I place Ginger Ale at the top of the list... I guess. After that it's a mish-mash of decaf colas, sprite, and concentrated juice drinks.

After discussing how we weren't feeling all that great I decided to go all nazi general and declare that we were now a caffeine free family. Then Jen said she was tired and might need a pick-me-up to start the work day. I of course rescinded my statement in a full nazi general-esque manner. She said she'd cut down to one caffeinated beverage a day.

Jen has cut back a lot. I am very proud of her. As for me... I have cut back almost completely. We had our little discussion on Thursday morning. I had one diet coke on Thursday with dinner. Other than that I haven't had anything. It's been ginger ale and juice concentrate for me. I know those aren't terribly good for me either, but I have to eliminate one bad thing at a time or else I am going to get fed up and stop trying.

So good job so far Jenny! Keep up the good work. We are actually going to join a gym this week... something I've never done out of pure embarrassment. We're going to start eating better and we're going to get ourselves healthier. We've both promised ourselves this on a few past occasions, but this time we're doing it. We're off to a decent start. We didn't deny ourselves anything this weekend, but we did greatly reduce the between meal snacking. We didn't eliminate it, we just cut back. That's the secret, I think. If we shut ourselves off of everything right away we're going to cheat once and blow the whole thing. If we cut back a little more gradually we'll ease into the whole diet thing. Wish us luck!

_________________________

Change of subject.

I don't usually get into web series very often. I have found a few comic strips that I like to read pretty regularly, but no video series or anything.

I might have to make an exception for Zombie college though.

No comments:

Post a Comment