Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy Saint Patrick's Day

I'm wearing a green shirt. I have that particular base covered. However, I think I should be exempt from having to display my Irishness via the color of my clothing. My bright, glow in the dark, see it from low Earth orbit, red hair should be enough to signify where my people came from.

Here is the wikipedia article on Saint Patrick himself.

Here is the wikipedia article on Saint Patrick's Day.

We had the traditional(? is it traditional everywhere or is it just around here... here being greater Boston... more specifically here means my parent's house) boiled dinner on Sunday. This coming Sunday we are doing it again at my parent's house. My mother is going to be hard pressed to top the meal my beautiful wife prepared last weekend.

The only downside to my celebrating Saint Patrick's Day is that I don't drink. I do not experience the drunken revelry, I only get the sober revelry. I don't think I'm missing anything, but many people seem to disagree. Oh well.

In the Boston area the holidays just keep coming. Today is also Evacuation Day. The city of Boston celebrates the day the British army evacuated the city in 1775. It was George Washington's first victory in command of the Continental Army. I believe it is truly worthy of celebration. I just wish more than Suffolk county would declare it a holiday. Getting Saint Patrick's Day off as a result is just a coincidence of course. Of course.

Here is an article on the history of Evacuation Day.

So many reasons to celebrate. Enjoy them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment