Saturday, March 6, 2010

Downtown Lowell

(read the next line in a Jerry Seinfeld-esque voice)

What is the deal with downtown Lowell?

Last night Jen wanted to go for some Japanese food. She did a little searching online and found a place in Downtown Lowell on Merrimack Street called Etsogo. It was a Friday night, after 8:00pm and we expected to have to wait.

Little did we know that Downtown Lowell apparently shuts down for the entire Winter season.

We parked in that big garage on Market Street and walked over to Merrimack. I was shocked to not only not see any people around (there was one drunk homeless guy... it wouldn't have been Lowell otherwise) but to not see any businesses open. Everything was closed. It was 8:freaking pm and everything was closed. Many shops had their hours posted, complete with "Winter hours" that close up at 7:00. I know it's cold out, but gimme a break. The whole city center closes at 7:00 because it's cold? No wonder they have so much trouble keeping the city alive. Open the damn stores!

Fortunately Etsogo was open and it was really good. I had beef and chicken teriyaki and Jen had sushi. We will go back to that place, I am sure, and hopefully the city isn't asleep the next time.

I recently started creating picture sets in Flickr for different cities and towns that I have found myself taking pics in in the past including Lowell. I used my iPhone and Camera Bag application to try to take some faux artsy pictures that I could add to the Lowell set.

Enjoy... even though they are lame.

The view from our parking spot on the second floor of the garage.
photo

I think this is Palmer and Middle Streets (thanks Google maps!)
photo

My wife Jenny perusing the menu. Checking out the sushi options.
photo

I liked the front windows and took a lame picture of them.
photo

Jenny loves her some sushi.
photo

An ice cream shop called Monkey's How could we say no? Of course they were closed, so maybe next time we're in town we'll pay a visit.
photo

A failed attempt at getting a shot of the clock tower at the city hall.
photo

Downtown Lowell is on my list of places to bring the camera for a waste of a day walking around taking pictures of stuff. It's been on that list for years, but someday I'll get there.

This afternoon we went out to eat as well. Where did we go this time? Only my favorite place (the Burlington branch of my favorite place, to be exact).
photo

An unrelated note: we are sitting at home watching the Bruins playing the Islanders and we just saw a McDonald's commercial and now I have a song stuck in my head:

Give me back that fillet o' fish
Give me that fish...

Urgh!

No comments:

Post a Comment