Tuesday, February 2, 2010

SQL Fun

Last night my wife showed me how to do something that no class I had during my eternity of computer programming courses at Middlesex Community College and the University of Massachusetts Lowell (yes, that is the name... the grammar error is actually correct... that should tell you something about the University) ever taught me how to do.

I wrote a little snippet of code (actually, two little snippets of code in two different files) that linked a text box on a web page to a database. It pulled specific pieces of data out of the database and displayed them in the browser in the correct places. Part of me is tickled to death by this. Another (smaller) part is very disappointed in myself for not having been able to do it prior to last night. A third (even smaller) part is pissed off at UMass Lowell for never having touched that, even when I took a senior level database course and a senior level graphical user interfaces course that should have dealt with exactly this topic but didn't.

Of course, when I tried to write another couple of snippets that would let you write data into the text boxes displayed on a web browser and then store that data into the database it didn't work. (in other words, the same steps in reverse order) Obviously we'll be spending more time on that. Yeah. We will.

The car pooling was successful yesterday as our blue car is sitting in my parent's driveway with a new battery. As we feared, the car started right up when the mechanic began looking at it. A weak battery combined with a 6 degree (Fahrenheit) temperature kept our car from starting. Although the tow truck driver did try to jump it. I guess the thingie (that's a technical term) he used to jump it didn't have enough juice to bring it back from the great beyond. Anyway, we car pooled again today and will pick up the little blue guy tonight after work.

Today is day two of the RPM challenge and for the second day in a row I have done nothing. We were up late programming last night and I couldn't get out of bed this morning. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

The Bruins have lost seven straight games. The Washington Capitals have won 10 straight games. The two teams meet tonight at the Garden. I am going to go out on a limb and say both streaks will still be alive tomorrow morning.

I can't think of anything else to say right now so your humble narrator is signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment