Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Wired: 100 Quotes Every Geek Should Know

I found this on twitter today. It's a Wired article listing 100 quotes every geek should know.

I did not know them all. I did know most of them. Some of them I had heard before but couldn't really remember. I had seen the movie once before but the line never really stuck with me.

Many of them are lines I have used in normal, every day conversation.

Here are the winners in Robbie's book (this might take a while)... It's only 43% of the total list.

1. “Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” — Dennis the Peasant, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

2. “Three rings for the Elven kings under the sky, seven for the Dwarf lords in their halls of stone, nine for the mortal men doomed to die, one for the Dark Lord on his dark throne, in the land of Mordor where the shadows lie. One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring the bring them all, and in the darkness bind them. In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie.” -LOTR

3. “I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” - HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey

8. “If you think that by threatening me you can get me to do what you want… Well, that’s where you’re right. But - and I am only saying that because I care - there’s a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing.” - Chris Knight, Real Genius

12. WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE - God (Douglas Adams), So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

13. “Some days, you just can’t get rid of a bomb!” - Adam West, Batman & Robin

26. “Do you know of the Klingon proverb that tells us revenge is a dish that is best served cold? It is very cold in space.” -Kahn, ST:TWOK

27. “Ray, if someone asks you if you’re a god, you say YES!” - Winston, Ghostbusters

30. “I find your lack of faith disturbing.” -Darth Vader, Star Wars

32. “Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.” - Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

33. “It’s a moral imperative.” - Chris Knight, Real Genuis

35. “Well, let’s say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of psychokinetic energy in the New York area. Based on this morning’s reading, it would be a Twinkie thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds.” - Egon, Ghostbusters

36. “This episode was BADLY written!” -Gwen, Galaxy Quest

37. “Worst. Episode. Ever.” - Comic Book Guy, The Simpsons

42. “Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!” - Dr. Peter Venkman, Ghostbusters

44. “Wait a minute, Doc. Ah… Are you telling me you built a time machine… out of a DeLorean?” - Marty McFly, Back to the Future

45. “Don’t call me a mindless philosopher, you overweight blob of grease!” - C3PO, Star Wars

46. “I’d just as soon kiss a wookiee!” - Princess Leia, The Empire Strikes Back

49. “This is your receipt for your husband… and this is my receipt for your receipt.” - Officer, Brazil

53. “Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!” Vizzini, The Princess Bride

57. “Check, please.” - Lone Starr & Barf, Spaceballs

61. “No matter what you hear in there, no matter how cruelly I beg you, no matter how terribly I may scream, do not open this door or you will undo everything I have worked for.” - Young Frankenstein

63. “He’s dead, Jim.” McCoy, ST:TOS

65. “Bring out your dead.” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

66. “My name is Inigo Montoyo. You killed my father. Prepare to die!” -Inigo, The Princess Bride

68. “Redrum.” Danny, The Shining

69. “Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows.” - announcer, The Shadow radio drama

70. “We’re going to need a bigger boat.” - Chief Brody, Jaws

73. “Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!” - President Merkin Muffley, Dr. Strangelove

74. “These aren’t the droids you’re looking for.” - Obi-Wan, Star Wars

75. “Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!” - Taylor, Planet of the Apes

76. “You maniacs! You blew it up! Oh, damn you! Damn you all to hell!” - Taylor, Planet of the Apes

80. “What… is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?” - Bridgekeeper, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

84. “Danger Will Robinson! Danger!” - Robbie the Robot, Lost in Space

86. “All things serve the beam.” various instances, The Dark Tower series

89. “And I said, I don’t care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I’m, I’m quitting, I’m going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they’ve moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were married, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn’t bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it’s not okay because if they take my stapler then I’ll set the building on fire…” - Milton Waddams, Office Space

90. “Michael, I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be.” - Peter Gibbons, Office Space

92. “Gimme some sugar, baby.” - Ash, Army of Darkness

93. “Well hello Mister Fancypants. Well, I’ve got news for you pal, you ain’t leadin’ but two things, right now: Jack and sh*t… and Jack left town.” - Ash, Army of Darkness

94. “Kneel before Zod.” - Zod, Superman II

95. “Shall we play a game?” - Joshua, WarGames

97. “It’s 106 miles to Chicago, we’ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it’s dark and we’re wearing sunglasses.” “Hit it!” - Elwood, The Blues Brothers

98. “Make it so” / “Engage” - Captain Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation


I have two comments on the list. First, thanks to the writer(s) for including not one, but two references to the movie Real Genius. Second, I am stunned at the lack of references to the movie Highlander, or the television show Mystery Science Theater 3000.

No comments:

Post a Comment