Thursday, January 14, 2010

Macbook

Here I am sitting on the couch in the living room with a laptop on my lap, as happens often in this high tech household me and my super software engineer wife share.

Am I using my Toshiba laptop which runs Windows 7? Nope.
Am I using my Gateway laptop which runs Linux? Nope.

I am using my beloved wife's macbook running the latest OS X version.

I am checking out the user my bride set up for me and looking at Garageband tutorials and trying to figure out my RPM Challenge needs... again. I go through this every year.

The macbook has an audio input, which is a good thing. I just need an adapter (1/4 inch to 1/8 inch) and I can plug right in. It probably won't sound very good, but it won't sound any worse then the crap I recorded last year. The downside is that it only has a single audio input, which means the drum machine won't come into Garageband in stereo.

Know what? I'm not going to worry about it. No one is going to listen to this crap-fest other than me, who cares if all of the percussion is in the center of the stereo field in the final mix. Certainly not me. I'll spread the other instruments around for any stereo effects I might later desire.

I'll still record anything acoustic (ie my pie hole) with the mic plugged into my mixing board and a line out into the computer. That way I don't have to mess with the mic cable and I can eq my terrible voice at every stage along the signal path... hopefully until it no longer sounds like me.

It's still a few weeks off, but Robbie is gearing up for RPM. Be prepared to be bored to tears with frequent updates!

And as my last band's singer, Jeff, used to say all the time: Rock On!

No comments:

Post a Comment