Saturday, January 23, 2010

File Under: Weird Dream

We all know about the mess NBC has created by turning it's too very successful and popular late night talk show hosts against each other while trying to destroy a network (and television in general) institution called The Tonight Show, right?

Last night I had a dream...

I dreamed that the tonight show was given back to Leno (which is happening next week I think?) and the twit who has the 12:30 show got to keep his job. The 1:30 time slot had some big changes (this is the part that was in the dream). A new talk show was created for that time. The Bruce Dickinson show. It was hosted by non other than airline pilot/fencer/author/lead singer for the English Heavy Metal band Iron Maiden.

A few weeks into the shows tenure Jen and I were invited on as guests. I don't know what we did to deserve this. I can only guess Bruce wanted to talk to the two people who are most in love with each other and that (obviously) was us.

Unfortunately our entire appearance was taken up by me and Bruce talking about the times I'd seen him play live. "Remember that time I saw you in Portland, ME on the tour where you and Adrian (Smith) rejoined the band after all those years?" Bruce said yes and then gave a pithy anecdote about that night.

"Remember the show in Worcester, MA in 1990 on the No Prayer for the Dying tour?" I ask, and Bruce goes on to tell a story about that night too.

"Remember that time you did a club tour with your own band just before you put out your first solo record? I saw you at The Channel in Boston." Bruce and I then go on to trade our favorite memories of that particular show for probably close to 10 minutes.

Then he gets word from the director that it's time to take a break and go to the next guest. I had wasted our entire network television debut talking about old Maiden concerts. My wife, whom I love more than life itself, was upset because she was left out of the whole thing. I was embarrassed and Bruce was very upset with himself for getting off of the topics he had planned. He never once read anything off of his notes. We were both very apologetic to each other and mostly to Jen.

And that, oh humble readers, is the kind of crap that goes through my mind when I'm unconscious. It's a good thing the real world is so much fun for me these days because my dream world is L.A.M.E.



(psst: if the song doesn't play try clicking here.)





No comments:

Post a Comment