Friday, December 11, 2009

Ugh Ugh Ugh Ugh

Some friends and I have for many years been big fans of the movie Highlander. The original movie. The sequels have been horrid piles of steaming garbage. The television shows were okay until they run so long that the premise of a few abnormal (no spoilers here) people hiding amongst the throngs of normal people gets silly, as the few becomes a couple dozen a year.

But the original movie... for all it's nearly countless flaws... is a huge ton of fun. It's near the point where Larry and Mike and I can carry on whole conversations using nothing but quotes from the movie. Yeah, we're that bad.

One of the best parts about this film... which really is a terrible film I have to admit, but I love it anyway... is the bad guy. Kurgan. He's a psychotic killing machine who's been throwing off catchy slogans whilst offing those weaker than he for hundreds of years. How can you not love it. Top it off, he likes playing chicken on New York streets. Perfect!







As is often the case with cultish movies with a cast made up of actors of questionable talents, it is not surprising that the actors you enjoyed watching don't show up in too many other notable films. The guy who played Kurgan, Clancy Brown, is one of those. I've seen him in a few low budget b-movie type rolls, but I can't think of anything major you might have seen him in. The one exception is that he played the drill sergeant in the movie Super Troopers.





I forget what I was looking at the other day... what was it... I think it was the internet movie database page on the remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street when I saw his name in the cast. I clicked on the link to see what other work he's done. I thought maybe there was a movie I'd heard of but never seen that might be a good netflix/rental choice.

Turns out Mr Brown has done quite a bit of television voice over work. One item that caught my eye was the voice of Lex Luthor in recent Superman cartoons. Excellent!

Then I saw it...

The big one...

Something I've actually seen many, many times...





Clancy Brown... The Kurgan... the guy who got to say the killer catch phrase from Highlander something like 100 times... is the voice of SpongeBob SquarePants' boss, Mr. Krabs.

Oh
My
God

His coolness factor just rose by something like 100000000000%!

"There can be only one! ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh."

No comments:

Post a Comment