Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Happy Veteran's Day

I woke up very... very... very early this morning to the sound of the smoke detector at the bottom of our front stairs beeping that battery-is-about-to-die occasional beep. So I kicked off my Veteran's Day off by leaving at the usual going-to-work time to find a 9 volt battery.

The first open store I come to is the Cumberland Farms on route 28 in Salem, NH.

I enter the store and start looking for batteries. I found what I was looking for quickly, all to the sound of the clerk talking with a guy over at the coffee pots. They were talking about next weekend's Patriots game. The coffee guy was, for lack of a better word, shit-faced... plastered... wet-brained... well, how about drunk. Slurring his words, having real trouble standing up, basically slobbering over himself.

He paid for his coffee, I paid for my batteries, he stayed back a few minutes to finish his rambling discourse on beating the over-under, I went out to my car and plugged in my iPhone (to listen to the Stephen King Dark Tower Books on Tape project, I'm on book five) and the wet brain comes out and....

wait for it...

gets into his company van and drives to work.

Happy Veteran's Day! God Bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment