Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Happy Birthday!

One year ago today I was farting around online and decided, for no apparent reason, to stop posting my pointless drivel of blogged uselessness on myspace and start posting it here. I still don't know why. It seemed like a good idea at the time... no scratch that, it seemed like a retarded idea at the time but I went through with it anyway.

I wrote this in the first post:

I am going to try to write to this a lot. Possibly even daily. Not that I have anything all that important to add to the universe, but just because I kinda like it.


(do you see what I did there? I just block quoted myself. How's that for narcissism?)

Well I did it. I posted at least once a day for a full year. I think it was last March when the question of informational security came up and I split this page in two. Because of that you can't necessarily see that I posted daily, you have to take my word for it. Everything posted prior to the split went to the private page and everything that mentioned kids by name or gave to many specifics on locations and such were removed from the public page. As a result you kinda have to look at both pages to see the unbroken string of posts... so like I said, take my word for it.

Over the course of the last year I have gone from happily engaged to happily married. I've gone from "mom's fiance" to "step dad" in the eyes of two incredible kids. I've become an uncle twice while two other friends had their first child, and a third friend is only a couple of months away from his first child. We agreed to buy a house, lost the house, decided not to buy a house, and decided to start looking at houses again. We traveled to Florida, Maryland, Washington DC, Pennsylvania, New York, California, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, and all six New England States.

If proof of nerdiness is needed, I have a total of 894 public posts and 540 private posts. Many of those prior to the split are on both pages so I don't have an actual total, but an excess of 1000 seems a given. Probably an average of three per day. Yeah, I am the nerd king all right.

So happy bloggy birthday to this page. Go eat a piece of cake in it's honor, or something. Maybe a Suzie Q or something. (oh my god, I had a Suzie Q the other night. It really is the most heavenly manufactured snack food ever created by human hands.)

Back to reality now. I am still dealing with this frick-on-a-stickin' cold. It won't go away. To make matters worse, Jen is catching it too. I don't know if there is enough kleenex on the Earth to handle this crisis. We have to be better by Friday so we can take the kids to see the babies. We have to!

On the house hunting front, there was an interesting development this morning. Here is a little back story...

Last March when we first started looking into buying a house we checked out a ton of places. There were three that we really liked. One was a HUGE five bedroom place with a cellar that was so big it seemed to tunnel under the whole neighborhood. The place was just plain colossal. It was a little bit out of our price range and it needed some work so we didn't make an offer, but it was an awesome house. The second was another big house with a huge hard, a pool, an awesome deck attached to an awesome three season porch. It also had a barn that was converted into a humongous garage that included a loft that was flat out ginormous. This place was also just a little bit out of our price range but it never left our thoughts. The third place was the three bedroom that we put the offer on and were screwed out of by an idiot seller. For the record, the price they eventually sold the house for was almost $30,000 less than the offer we made that they accepted. Frickin' twits, for sure.

Anyway, the five bedroom place sold and we know the sad story about the place we offered on, but the second place has yet to sell. Today Jen got an update from one of the real estate sites she uses saying that the asking price had been dropped from just out of our price range to well within our price range.

We had developed enough interest in another house near our neighborhood that we have asked some family members to come along with us to see it this weekend. Now we're thinking of adding a second look at this other house to the agenda. I'll keep you posted. This is stressful as all hell, but it's fun too.

Finally, in celebration of the page's 1st birthday and the fact that the site I used to use to make free flash mp3 players doesn't seem to want to work today, I am trying out a new flash mp3 player from flash-mp3-player.net. The test song is "Here it Comes" by Mission of Burma. Possibly the best B-Side of the 21st century. I hope this works.





No comments:

Post a Comment