Saturday, September 19, 2009

Kessel to Toronto

I woke up this morning, took a leak (well I did!), and downed a few advils. Then I went to check my mail. Not much, only took a second. Then I checked twitter. Ahhh, so the Bruins finally traded Phil Kessel.

I was very much on the record as not wanting to give him up. I was also, in the last week or so, very much on the record as just wanting the whole damn circus to end. I was seriously sick of listening to Kessel speculation in the press. I just wanted it to go away, no matter how it was resolved.

...and now it has. Kessel was traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs for three draft picks. That's all you ask? Well, how about a 1st and 2nd round pick in 2010 and a 1st round pick in 2011. Consider that the Leafs haven't made the playoffs in something like 1,100 years (slight exaggeration) and you see the potential for this deal to be ginormous in favor of the Bruins.

Now we have to root for the Leafs to suck up a storm for the next two years. I always root for the Leafs to suck, but now we have some major incentive.

Kessel had surgery in the off season and won't be back for a couple of months. We were going to be missing him for a while regardless of his contract status. He probably was not going to hit the 36 goal mark he hit last year. Still, there is a lot of production that is going away.

Except... I keep forgetting about Marco Sturm. He missed almost the entire season last year. He's in the 25-30 goal range too. Maybe that's what the B's are looking at. Roster wise this is almost like a straight up trade, Kessel for Sturm. Considering that Sturm is more of an all around player, while Kessel is pretty one dimensional, I would say the deal they made looks REALLY good. Assuming Pete makes three really good picks, and further assuming that the Leafs do their part and suck immensely.

Go Bruins!

Go Suck Leafs!

No comments:

Post a Comment