Friday, September 4, 2009

Does This Make Me "Published?"

Yesterday I posted a bunch of pictures I took while wandering along the Spicket River in Methuen.

Today I see this. Do those look familiar? Do you see a familiar link in the sidebar?

If you look at the post from yesterday with all the pictures there is a comment saying I have been linked to on http://methuencommon.com/.

I like the site a lot. A hyper local news site for my town. Granted I am far from up on current events in Methuen. I've been living there for a bit over a year. I lived in town once before for about 10-11 months many years ago. I am slowly learning my way around but there are tons of things I have no idea about. Like, did you know there is a residents only beach on a pond in town? I had no clue. I believe there is also a railroad trail. Who knew?

Last Christmas Santa got me a nice little book on the history of Methuen... I can't recall the title or the author. When I get home I'll check the book and add an addendum at the end of this post. It had a section on historically interesting things to see in town. I have been meaning to check some of them out and take a picture or two but I really haven't gotten around to it. Both busyness and laziness are the culprits there. The dam was the spot that interested me the most, and a large part of that interest was due to the fact that there is a public parking lot right next to it.

I'll get to some of the other places when I can. Some of them I've seen while driving around. Like, what the heck are those tower things in that funeral home parking lot (I know and some day I'll share), and have you noticed half of the town is surrounded by castle walls? (I have and some day I'll share). There is also the library and the music hall that are obvious targets for me.

As for this site being linked from another site, it's not something I've ever given any thought to. I just do this for fun. I have no agenda or anything like that. Hell, I don't even have a topic most of the time. I have had a few pictures from my Flickr account that were used without my permission and I squashed that very quickly thank you very much. I take my copyrights very seriously and no one will use my stuff without my say so. In this case I feel different though. Methuencommon.com can link to me if they want, I'd just like to know about it. I actually added them to my RSS reader so I'll probably catch anything if they do. I'm happy about this. I don't contribute much to the town other than pay sales tax at the Loop and such. This might be a fun way to get involved a little.

Now I just have to get out and take more pictures of my town!


hmmm one added thought... does this mean I have to start proof reading? (shudder in fear)

3 comments:

  1. If you want me to take the images off, i will
    but they are the hook to drive people to your photoessay/blog. There is a switch on your flickr account profile which will prevent people from embedding your images. Since you left it 'on' it is assumed that you want people to use your images to get yourself some attention. Alas, methuencommon.com isn't considered being published...IMHO being published is when someone PAYS you for your work. NOW that's good eats.

    If you have any questions about Henry Vaughn's Walls or Searles Columns just holler. You think those are fun, check out Thomas Ball's Lincoln Statue in City Hall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want you to use the pictures. That's fine with me. I keep the flickr links available because I use them all the time. Like most programmers I am lazy and hate to type. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. okey dokey. if you take any more walks around town let me know. it's nice to see it from 'new' eyes.
    i wandered around tonight and came up with a few good ones. the last 6 are from tonight
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgodsey

    ReplyDelete