Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Weird Day

Today is one of those weird days when I have nothing to talk about. Nothing to bitch about, nothing to complain about, nothing to whine about. It's really weird.

All this week I have been going into work an hour early and getting out at 4:30 instead of 5:30. It's a little one-week-per-summer-benefit they give us. On top of that, yesterday I had a dentist appointment at 4:45 so I took a half day and left work at noon.

The dentist canceled the appointment. I went to Home Depot and bought a couple of new metal garbage barrels to replace our half eaten plastic one. (the squirrels did a number on it. Hopefully they aren't genetically superior squirrels, like the black squirrels in my parent's yard, who can eat through metal.) I need to get some bungee chords to hold the covers down and some spray paint to paint our address on them. Two things I could have done yesterday but just plain forgot.

Since I was home without a dentist appointment I was able to get the kids at day care and bring them to karate class. There was almost an hour of free time in the middle so we went to a play ground in Salem and they had a good time climbing all over stuff while Robbie stressed over the thousands of ways they could have gotten hurt. Of course they didn't get hurt at all.

I got a treat at karate too. We were under the impression that now that the kids are in the big kids karate class parents are not allowed to sit and watch like they could at the little kid's class. I had planned to drop them off and drive across the street to dunkin donuts and grab a soda and a table and read a book for half an hour before going to pick them up. Instead they asked the teacher if I could stay and he said yes... which now makes sense seeing as there were 4-5 other grown ups watching the class as well.

When we got home mom had made us dinner. A dinner from my past, as it were. When I was younger my mother used to make us something she called Toutins. Here's what you do. Put some oil in a pan and put it on the stove. Take a big ball of pizza dough and rip off a few hand fulls and drop them into the oil. Flip 'em a few times and when they are brown on both sides you eat them. How that is different from fried dough I don't know. What I do know is that they are yummy and the kids really liked them.

What do you know, Toutins are a Newfie thing! From wikipedia:
Toutin (or Tiffin or Touton) is a Newfoundland term for a dough cake fried in fat and made from fresh bread dough which was normally in excess of the amount needed to fill loaf pans. It has many terms and spelling depending on the community in which people of Newfoundland were from. Some of the more common spellings of toutin is toutan, touten, touton, and towtent.[1] It also had some colorful names such as damper dogs or damper devils which was in direct reference to how the toutin was cooked, on the damper of a stove fueled by natural combustible materials such as firewood and coals.

Depending on where one is in the province, there are many other colorful names including fantails, gandies, posies etc.


Tonight Jen and I are going to my parent's house to play the ol' car swap game again. We had Jen's Saturn in the shop for problems with the wheels last week. This week it is going back in to have the breaks done. My folk's will let us borrow one of their cars until we get our car back. That is a sweet deal and I can't thank my parents enough for it. Thanks!

What else, what else... This weekend is a kid weekend so we won't be cleaning up the playroom or the office. I might try to move their computer desk from point A to point B anyway. Next weekend is a kids weekend too due to their taking a trip to Pennsylvania with their dad last weekend. They saw the Liberty Bell, and the bridge of the USS Enterprise D, which apparently lives in Philly.

Do you see what happened here? Why is it that when I clearly have nothing to complain about I just write something in order to have something and it ends up being a pretty long post? Funny how that happens, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment