Monday, April 27, 2009

Weekend in Review

I know it's hockey playoff time and my sporting attention is generally directed there... but this weekend marked 2009's first meeting of the Boston Red Sox and the scumbag New York Yankees. My hatred of the Montreal Canadiens runs deep, but not quite as deep as my hatred of the Yankees.

The Sox swept the three game series. I know it's only April, but few sporting events can ever make me happier than the Red Sox sweeping a series from the Yankees.

I managed to watch some of each game. Not all of any of them though. Friday they were losing when we went to bed... and then won in extra innings in dramatic fashion. Saturday they were back and forth all game and won it late. Sunday I was asleep before 10:00. Jen and I were in bed with the game quietly on the radio. It was 1-1 when I lost consciousness.

I missed this:



That is the greatest thing ever. EVER! Ellsbury steals home! Brilliant! The only way that could have been awesomer was if it was the winning run. Andy Pettite is world renown for picking runners off of first. That didn't stop Jacoby from stealing second earlier in the game... and then he stole fricken home!

In hockey news, still no word on who the Bruins will be facing in the second round. Philadelphia is out so if the higher seeds take the pair of game sevens scheduled for tomorrow night then we'll get Pittsburgh. If the Rangers win their game seven we get them. If they lose and Carolina wins we get Carolina.

The Rangers have blown their 3-1 series lead as the Capitals have decided to show up. The Devils and Hurricanes are slugging it out in classic fashion. I haven't payed much attention to the Chicago vs Calgary series, but all the pundits predicted Chicago to win easy and Calgary has made it a close series. The Blackhawks can clinch with a game six win tonight, but I am rooting for a game seven. San Jose has decided to put off their inevitable choke for one more night by blowing an early lead but winning in overtime in game five. The Ducks can put them out of their misery by taking game six tonight. I have decided to never put faith in the Sharks again, so I could care less if they force a game seven or not. The hell with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment