Monday, April 20, 2009

Happy Patriots Day

This morning I pulled out of the driveway a little earlier than normal. 7:01am. I pulled into a parking spot at work at 8:00am. 59 minutes for a drive that usually takes about 70-75 minutes.

Must be April school vacation week! WOOHOO

Today I was cruising along on route 62 in Concord, MA and I saw a company of about 6 Minutemen marching down the road. So the 18th century Massachusetts Colonial Militia has been called to duty?

Must be Patriots Day!

Today is the day people in Massachusetts celebrate the start of the American Revolution. They day of the proverbial "shot heard 'round the world."

British troops marched out of Boston to take out a munitions dump in Concord. They were met at the old North Bridge crossing the Concord river by a militia unit. Shots were fired. The proverbial "shit hit the fan." The British troops headed back to Boston under almost constant attack from other militia units along the way. 15 months later the 13 colonies declared their independence. Eight years later the British government recognized the independence of the United States of America. 200+ years later people in the state of Massachusetts get the day off.

Some of them at least. Not me. This is the one holiday I don't get off. It's okay though, the office is more or less dead, and the Red Sox are playing at 11:00am and the Boston Marathon is underway. Lots of news to follow today. And there is that little added bonus of next to no traffic on the ride home. I like that.

You may be wondering why there is no camera phone evidence of the Minutemen I saw on the road this morning. Well, sadly I was listening to music on my iPhone and couldn't get the camera up and running fast enough. I had a tiny bit more luck when I saw three deer on the side of the road. I pulled over and aimed the camera as they started to run away. If you click on this picture and see the full sized shot you can sort of see them.



Always fun to see interesting wildlife during the ride in to work.

The Bruins are playing tonight. Game three of the best of seven game series. They lead 2-0 over the vile cousin pokin' Montreal Canadiens. The series moves to Montreal for games three and four. The Bruins will be without the services of Milan Lucic who was suspended for one game for a hit to the head. I haven't seen the play, but I guess it was a punch, not a high stick. That's good at least. They will also again be without Matt Hunwick who missed Saturday's game with a removed spleen. They dude had his effing spleen removed, and the team is hoping he might make it back into play if we are fortunate enough to advance to the next round. Yes, hockey players are definitely tougher than anyone else on the planet. Navy SEALS might have one up on hockey players in the tough department, but that's probably it.

I am going to force my Jenny to watch this game with me tonight. Maybe we can find some wedding prep stuff to do during the commercials and intermissions. hehe

In the early going, the Red Sox have won four in a row to bring themselves out of the AL East cellar and back to a 500 record. They are still in third, and even worse they are still behind the Yankees, but things are improving. Keep winning guys, another 20-30 in a row will feel good, and don't scare us like that again!

Go Bruins!

No comments:

Post a Comment