Thursday, April 23, 2009

Glory! well, 1st round glory at least

They did it! Revenge for '02, '04, and '08! The Boston Bruins swept the Montreal Canadiens!

Glorious!

Even better, I actually picked a first round winner! WOOHOO!

I got home last night and the kids were shutting off the television to sit down for dinner. I said, "Are you guys ready to watch some hockey tonight?"

They said, "No!"

Jen said, "I told them they could watch a show after dinner." (actually, should not have quoted that. I don't think that's exactly what she said.)

So I went to my desk in the office and put on the wbz.com audio stream, logged into twitter.com and started listening while waiting for the 2 Power Puff Girls episodes to end.

There were a couple of very important things that happened during those few minutes of radio/tweeting. I am going to redefine geek here by actually copying in some actual tweets. Forgive me my pesky nerdishness.

The Bruins were on a power play. Michael Ryder took a stupid hooking penalty. I posted this:
#73, 2 minutes for hooking. Thanks Mike. Giving Newfie a bad name. (just kidding, I know you'll score to make up for it) #bruins
I then realized something was wrong. The Bruins were losing one to nothing. It occurred to me that I wasn't wearing a Bruins jersey! I posted:
This is all my fault. I don't have my white #bruins jersey on. I'll go fix the problem now.
I ran upstairs and put my old white Bruins replica jersey on. (I have a newer black home jersey that I got for Christmas last year too) I posted this:
Okay, I have the road #bruins jersey on along with the #redsox hat. They will turn it around now.
The kids came into the office to tell me that the show was over and I could put the game on the television. Just after I sat down Michael Ryder scored to tie the game at one. I called it! I am Mr Hockey Prognosticator!
Didn't I just tweet that Ryder would score to make up for the penalty? #bruins 2 #habs 1. Bring on the 2nd period!!
It was glorious. Absolutely glorious. (or as glorious as a game in the first round of the playoffs between a 1 seed and an 8 seed can be I guess.)

The Bruins kept it up scoring three more times and the Canadiens players came unglued. Price flipped off the fans when they gave him a mock cheer. Some one shot a puck at Mark Savard after a whistle. Komisarek went after Milan Lucic, not once but twice. The first time he picked a fight and Looch KO'd him with one punch. The second time he cross checked Lucic in the face and drew himself a five minute major and a game misconduct. I guess he just didn't want to have to play the rest of the game. Given the Canadiens collapse, can you blame him?

Here are some youtube highlights.


The first round sweep is complete. Bring on the second round! It's looking like it might be the New York Rangers. Boston's 2nd most hated hockey rival.

Glorious indeed!

Go Bruins!

No comments:

Post a Comment