Monday, January 12, 2009

I'm supposed to write something here

I said I was going to update this daily, so I better get crackin'

What to write about?

ummmmmmmm... what to write about.

Well there are only eight days remaining in the Bush II administration. Back when I was still in college I often referred to him as Bush II, or Bush the Second, or Bush the Younger, or silly things like that. There was a guy who worked for Dr Canning who also ran a radio show on WUML called SBS named Joss who coined the perfect phrase to use as both a title and a description of President George W. Bush: The Boy King. Absolutely perfect.

I have also always been fond of a statement made by a member of Mission of Burma, I think it was Peter Prescott. I can't remember if I heard it at a show or on a tape of a show, and I can't recall if he actually used an expletive or not so I won't use quotation marks, but it was something along the lines of: He's not my president. My memory likes to think he thew an f-bomb in there too.

Anyway, eight days away from the end of the regime. Eight days away from a potential fresh start. Eight days away from President Obama. I will not give the new President carte blanch (did I spell that right?) but I hope he digs right in and starts making changes for the better. I can't imagine him, or anyone else for that matter, being capable of making things worse.

I was thinking about taking a vacation day on January 20th so that I could watch the innaguration live. More spefically so I could dance and sing and scream with elation at the top of my lungs when Barak Obama takes the oath of office... officially removing The Boy King. That's going to be a beautiful moment in American History. I already took a day off this month though so I don't think I will. I'll be cheering in spirit though.

So check out the transition team's website, change.gov, and see what the new administration is planning on for the first few days in office. Like I said, it can't be any worse than what we have now. Two foreign wars, totally ineffectual responses to major natural disasters (what did George II say? You're doing great Brownie?), and a nearly collapsed economy. The state of things in the USA today is sort of like starting the new President off with two strikes against him, and while I generally have zero faith in any politicians, I have to have a little bit of faith in President Obama.

Why? Because I may be wrong about it not being able to get any worse.

Speaking of elections, Ricky Henderson will be elected to the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame today. (Did you see how I steared the topic away from the seriousness of the Presidential transition to something frivolous like baseball? Pretty good, eh?) It is also Jim Rice's last chance to get in via the baseball writers association ballot. I lean toward the he-is-not-worthy side of the Jim Rice question, but I still want to see him get in. It is definitely a home town decision for me, but I don't care. I want to see Jim Rice in Cooperstown.

No comments:

Post a Comment