Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Gasoline Smells Bad

On Friday I had to drive to a gas station and fill up a 5 gallon tank to put into Mike's generator. My car's trunk is full of stuff so there was no room to keep the tank there. I had to put it in the front with me.

The fumes started getting to me before I even found a station that was open so I opened all my windows. That helped quite a bit.

Early on Saturday I had to go out again and refill the container. Unfortunately my windows were all frozen shut. My car began to smell of gasoline fumes as I drove down route 28 looking for an open station. It wasn't until after I was on my way back to Mike's that I was able to get a window open. I was afraid my car was going to reek like that forever so I left the window open all morning. When we left the house about three hours later the gasoline smell was gone. Bullet Dodged.

While Christmas shopping on Saturday afternoon I did something I have never done before. I went into a Yankee Candle store, braved the ridiculously long lines, and bought one of those silly little car air freshener smelly things. Christmas Cookie scented. I was paranoid about the smell of gas. Now the interior of my car smells of Christmas Cookies. Every time I reach my destination I am STARVING.

This morning it came in handy. I was driving on route 126 in Wayland and some one was leaking gas. Lots of it. There was a streak of spilled gas on the Westbound lane that ran for at least half a mile. The smell was overpowering. When it ended I was very thankful for my stupid little Christmas Cookie thingie. It helped a lot. Until, that is, after about a mile of clean road there was another gasoline spill in the lane that lasted for another half mile or so.

So some one spilled a ton of gas onto the road, it stopped on it's own, and then after a while started again. Huh? Did the driver of the spilling tank car notice it, turn off his/her engine, coast as long as he/she could, and then start up the motor again?

Regardless of the circumstances, the gas reeked to high heaven. Glad I had that cookie thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment