Thursday, November 20, 2008

Who are you and what have you done with my Bruins?

I didn't see the Bruins game last night. I checked the score before I went to bed. They beat Buffalo 7-4.

That's not the incredible part. The incredible part is they were down 4-2 in the first period.

and they came back.

These are not the Bruins I know. The Bruins I know would have lost 7-2 after giving up in the first period. I think you should be able to watch the game highlights if you click here. I actually downloaded that video this morning, intending to post it here myself, but a combination of copyright conscience and the absolutely dreadful Buffalo play by play announcer has made me decide to just link to it. I'll trash the video when I get home. I don't know the guys name, but he is the 2nd worst sports announcing voice I've ever heard. The worst does (did?) play by play for the Red Wings on the radio. Who was it that decided a cracking, prepubescent, squeaking voice was a good choice for commentary?

But I digress...

The Bruins made the playoffs last year. I didn't think they would but they did, and they stood up about as well as possible for a team that was eliminated in the first round. They weren't all that good last year, but they handled themselves well.

This year I expected more of the same. Not very good. Fragile. Prone to caving in when things got tough. I know it's only November, but it sure looks like I was wrong again.

First in the Northeast division.
8-1-1 in their last 10 games.
A whopping 12-3-4 over all.
2nd in the Eastern conference, only 2 points behind the Rangers with 3 games in hand.
Mark Savard, 25 points in 19 games.
Phil Kessel, who was a healthy scratch in the playoffs last year, 9 goals already.
Patrice Bergeron, still alive despite last year's head injury and playing like his old self.
Denis Wideman is +10!!!!
Tim Thomas... TIM THOMAS!!! 1.78 goals against average and a .944 save percentage! They left him off the all-star ballot despite the fact that he is clearly the King of all Goalies!

I try not to get overly optimistic about sports. Yes I know Boston is the capital of all pro sports with the recent unbelievable successes the Red Sox, Patriots, and Celtics have had, but we went so long doing nothing but losing that I still find it hard to look on the sports-bright-side. I still expect to lose, and I still expect the Bruins to revert to their old losing selves.

But for now I am just going to sit back and enjoy this.

Go Bruins!



No comments:

Post a Comment